Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Recipe: Roasted Acorn Squash

I'm pretty much game for any recipe that calls for butter, brown sugar and a rubber mallet. 

We are expecting the first cold front of the season later this week. In September in Florida, that means it will be in the 80s during the day. I'm still pretending like it is fall though. My fall wreath is up, I'm working on Halloween costumes and cooking squash. I love to see all of the different varieties of squash in my local grocery store and this week I picked up some acorn squash.

Ingredients:
2 acorn squash
2 TBSP margarine
2 TBSP brown sugar

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Split the acorn squash in half lengthwise. This is where the rubber mallet comes in. Acorn squash are really hard. I used my biggest, sharpest chef's knife and still had to fetch a rubber mallet to pound on the knife to cut all the way through the darn thing. Scoop out the seeds & pulp and place each half, cut side up, in a deep baking dish.
Melt margarine and brown butter together in the microwave. I honestly could have cooked these with about half the butter and brown sugar. They were pretty sweet. Coat the inside of each squash half.
Fill the baking dish with 1/2 inch of water to prevent the outsides of the squash from burning.
Bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until the squash is soft and the tops are brown.

Dan's Rating: 10

Adapted from: Simply Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment