Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fluffy Mail!

The cloth diapers that I ordered last week arrived today. It's sad how excited I am to have new diapers, but I should be able to wash diapers every 3 days now. 

Here's what I got: 
Clockwise: Rockin Green laundry detergent, Bum Genius 4.0 pocket diapers in sweet, noodle and bubble, Hemp Babies hemp insert for pocket diapers

Cotton Babies was having a "seconds" sale last week. Seconds are slightly deformed diapers- kind of like shopping at an outlet store. The 4.0 diapers that I received have some of the elements of the 3.0 version of the same diaper. The purple and green diapers have suede laundry tabs instead of Velcro and have the lower rise like the 3.0. The yellow diaper has the 3.0 stiffer Velcro on the front. They also do not include the absorbent inserts (though I have plenty.) None of these are big deals and I am glad to have them at 50% off of the retail price.  

Since I was ordering anyway, I decided to get some Rockin Green cloth diaper laundry detergent. I discovered that the Tide Free and Clear liquid detergent that I have been using isn't recommended for cleaning cloth diapers. Rockin Green is phosphate, dye and enzyme free. It comes in lots of funky named, natural scents. I opted for the unscented "Bare Naked Babies" variety, though I will probably give "Smashing Watermelons" a try if I like this brand. I'll let you know how it works out. 

I also bought a Hemp Babies brand hemp insert for Liam's pocket diapers. He's starting to sleep for longer during the night. His diapers aren't leaking yet, but it's only a matter of time before he will need more absorbency than 2 microfiber inserts. Hemp is supposed to be more absorbent. It's also much less bulky than the microfiber inserts. Hemp contains a lot of natural oils that will cause diapers to repel water, so it has to be washed a few times to get the oils out. 

I'll let you know how all of these things work out for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment