Friday, March 25, 2011

Photography Friday: Supermoon

Last Saturday was the brightest full moon in many years. Dan, Liam and I went out to the beach just before sunset. There were a surprising amount of people gathered on the pier to watch the supermoon rise. This was Liam's first trip to the beach, so we recorded the memory with a family picture.

Taking a photo of the moon proved to be significantly more difficult than I had anticipated. My telephoto lens wasn't a good option because it was very windy on the beach and there was too much movement on my camera. I ended up using a technique that I have read about but never tried. I turned my flash on to capture the sea oats in the foreground but left the shutter open for about 3 seconds to expose the moon and its reflection on the water. It turned out pretty nice. I like the negative space and the framing. A dead center horizon is a photography pet peeve of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment