Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Training Day Whatever

I started to write a long post about all of the exercise I've done over the past 4 weeks

Not worth it.

Let's just skip right to the highlights.

My kids are doing awesome at the gym. Rosie will walk right it and say "bye" to me. They have a new arcade style basketball game that Liam loves. He has also suggested that I buy him a Wii since he likes playing it at the gym daycare so much.

Last Friday I ran for 8 minutes non-stop twice with a minute of walking in between. This was the longest I had ever run non-stop in my life. According to the training plan, I was supposed to go from that to running 16 minutes non-stop on Monday. That's a big jump. On Saturday night I was walking outside at night to get the mail and rolled my right ankle down the last step to my driveway. I iced it all weekend and hoped for the best, but I think that was the reason why my right knee was starting to hurt 10 minutes into my run on Monday and why I quit after 14 minutes. So, so close to my target, but still a huge accomplishment for me.

I decided that proper running shoes would also help with my knee pain. I got fitted at a local running shop and bought these beauties.
My kids were champs, though Liam started to melt down when I didn't allow him to run on the treadmill. He cheered up a little when we played chase around the store to test out shoes.

The strangest thing happened during my Monday run, too. I was on the treadmill at the gym watching HIMYM and minding my own business. I heard a loud bang, but I assumed it was an over-zealous weightlifter. Not long after, I notice that there was an open water bottle next to my treadmill spilling all over my yoga mat and gym bag (I was in a time crunch to do yoga, run and shower, so I didn't bother going to the locker room.) Still mid-run, I asked the guy next to me if it was his bottle, but it wasn't. At this point I thought I was going to have to stop to clean up this mess, but a woman came running over from the stair master behind the treadmills apologizing profusely. How her water bottle flew 6 feet and landed on my stuff, I still have no idea. She was embarrassed, but it was really no big deal. My clean clothes in my bag were dry and that's all I cared about.

I also hit a big milestone in my swimming tonight. I swam 400 yards, the full quarter mile, without taking a break. I brought 8 pennies with me and lined them up on one side of my lane. I slid one over after each lap so that I didn't lose count. It was a great swim.

It's a miracle I haven't lost my goggles yet. This little one goes into my gym bag almost daily to swipe my goggles.

I'm putting Liam in swimming lessons in September with a few of his friends. He's is really excited about it. I explained to him that his friends are a little older and bigger than he is, so he will have to work very hard. He told me that he was going to work hard and swim fast. He would be "the floating roadrunner." Meep meep!

I've been neglecting my biking. The really training was supposed to start last week. I'll start in earnest on my next biking day. I think that'll be Thursday. I'll try to check back in with my next run and report how I feel about my new shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment