Thursday, April 7, 2011

Landscaping: Done!

An unusually cold winter and having renters in our house resulted in a disaster in our flowerbeds. It was a long, hard, dirty project, but it looks great. Unfortunately, Dan hurt his back the first day we started the landscaping and I had to do more of the work than I bargained for.

About 75% of our plants died and the beds were full of weeds. I pulled out one weed that was about 3 feet tall and about as big around as a nickel. I forgot to take a "before" picture, but here is the "afters."



After removing all of the dead plants and pulling up the weeds, we planted a Queen Palm, a Eugenia, a Tangerine tree, hibiscus bushes and Canna Lilies. We also pulled up our 2 largest Birds of Paradise, divided them and planted them separately. I'm not sure all of them are going to live, though. We also put down a black mesh fabric to keep the weeds out. I topped it all off with 115 bags of lava rocks.




Liam was a good sport. He sat in the shade in his Bumbo chair or in the stroller and watched. He is good in the car and doesn't mind me lugging him around Lowes and the garden store.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful you guys! You are so good, Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I can't wait to see it in person... whenever that happens. Good job Julia!

    ReplyDelete