Sunday, June 12, 2011

Nap Time Crafting: 4th of July Onesie

I am about 98% done with Emma's Rag Quilt, but I have been sick for a week and, even though I will wash it before I send it, I still don't want to get my germs all over it. Instead, I made Liam a sweet little 4th of July onesie after reading various tutorials.

Materials:
Plain white onesie
7 inch square of festive fabric
6 inch square of Heat-n-Bond lite sewable interfacing
Matching thread

Iron the rough side of the interfacing to the fabric.

You could cut out the shape using scissors or a rotary tool, but I used my Silhouette die cut machine. The settings that worked for me were: pink 0.3 mm blade, speed 5 and thickness 33. It is very important to remove the paper backing from the interfacing before putting the fabric on the carrying sheet. I didn't do this and ended up scraping paper bits off the the carrying sheet.


No matter the method, you end up with something like this:


Position and iron the shape onto the onesie.

Sew around the edges of the shape. This was kind of frustrating because I had to bunch up the back of the onesie so that I didn't sew the front of the onesie to the back.


That's all! Easy, right? I'm planning on making another with a tie shape in the same fabric that I made Dan's tie for Father's Day. I'll post photos of that when I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment