Friday, December 31, 2010

2011: A look ahead and some resolutions

2009 was a difficult year for our family. 2010 was a year of great and wonderful changes. 2011 looks to be the year of establishing the "new normal" for our family.

Dan will finish his masters degree in the spring. That will be a huge relief for both of us and enable him to spend more time with me and Liam. It would be nice if it came with a raise, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that part. He is expecting a very good review at his job in the spring and hopes to be able to negotiate working from home more often.

Liam will probably go through the biggest changes in 2011. He'll roll over, crawl, sit up, walk, eat solid foods, say his first words, get his first teeth and so on and so on. I can hardly imagine the 14 month old toddler he will be this time next year.

I feel like I will have to be diligent this year in order not to stagnate. This will be the first year in a long time without major changes in my social life, education or career. Being so new to my role as a mother, I should hope to be a better mother by this time next year, but that goal is difficult to measure.

One of my main goals for 2011 is to get back in shape. Pregnancy was rough on my body. I am only one pound away from my "happy weight" that I was pre-pregnancy, but my stomach is really flabby and I lost a lot of muscle in my arms and legs. I need to improve my diet and start exercising again. I have tried to do the couch to 5k program a couple of times and never finished. I think I can do it this year if I cross-train to strengthen my knees and back. I should blog my progress with the C25K.

Personally, I want to improve my cooking, photography and piano skills. I talked to Dan about taking piano lessons. He doesn't think lessons would do me any good and that I should just commit to practicing. I should set up the keyboard in the dining room or living room to remind me to practice. I think blogging will keep me accountable in working on my cooking and photography.

So here are the goals and my plan to do them:

Complete the Couch to 5k 
  • Stretch before running to avoid injury
  • Cross train (cycling and swimming) on at least 2 of the off days per week
  • Begin by May 1st
  • Complete by August 31st
  • Blog progress weekly once I begin

Improve Diet
  • Limit myself to 1 soda per day (no refills at restaurants!)
  • Limit myself to 1 sweet treat per day (no exceptions for special occasions)
  • Eat a real vegetable with every dinner (potatoes & corn do not count)
  • Drink at least 64 ounces of water every day

Improve Photography Skills
  • Record Liam's growth with a similar photo each month
  • Blog about a photograph each week 

Improve Cooking Skills
  • Try at least 2 new recipes every month
  • Blog about a recipe every week

Improve Piano Skills
  • Learn a new song every month beginning in February 
  • Learn the keyboard well enough to play 2 song I already know in January
  • Blog a video of myself playing the new song at the end of the month

Get Household Back in Order
  • Stick to the envelope system for our budget at least 10 out of 12 months
  • Sew Liam's crib skirt and curtains by January 31st
  • Put up a photo wall in the foyer
  • Baby-proof the house within 30 days of Liam beginning to crawl
  • Finish unpacking boxes by February 28th

No comments:

Post a Comment